Composite decking is a stylish and convenient maintenance free alternative to timber.
Composite means the product is a mixture of different materials.
There are many different brands of composite decking on the market today, some are top quality and others are more budget friendly but lower in quality. When it comes to composite decking and many other things, you really do get what you pay for.
It’s worth considering options that best suit your lifestyle, your home and your budget.
At Castlegate Home Improvements we build your deck with whichever material you prefer, we are not linked with any decking supplier however we prefer to recommend top quality composite brands for our clients purely because we’ve used the products for years, we have great relationships with the suppliers right here in Perth, we know they are the best brands and we are willing to personally guarantee them.
Some of the brands we recommend to our clients are:
NexGen – please ask us for a brochure Made in USA with a 20-year warranty
Trex – please ask us for a brochure Made in USA with a 25-year warranty
Modwood – please ask us for more information Australian owned
UltraShield – please ask us for more information Available in a variety of colours
What is composite decking?
- NexGen decking is a combination of 60% recycled timber and 40% recycled plastics
- Trex decking is a combination of recycled timber, plastic and sawdust
- You never need to oil, paint or sand your composite deck. An occasional wash down with a gentle soap and warm water is all it needs
- It is termite and white ant proof
- The boards do not shrink, warp, fade, rot or splinter
- The boards are fixed with stainless steel hidden fasteners so your wont have screws popping up and no nasty accidents
- NexGen offer a 20-year warranty while Trex offer a 25 year limited warranty on the composite product and fasteners
- NexGen and Trex composite products are from the USA and have been used in America for over 20 years
- Composite comes in a variety of colours to suit any home or business
- This product is a little more of an investment than timber decking however you will see savings in not having to buy an expensive tin of oil every 6 months for the life of your timber deck
Common Questions about Composite Decking …
- Isn’t composite just another name for plastic?
Composite means the board is a mix of materials so it isn’t just plastic. However there is an element of recycled plastic in the product. More economical brands may contain more plastic than timber and some brands of composite are completely plastic. NexGen and Trex composite decking products are a combination of recycled plastic and recycled timber with the latter being the predominant material, so not only are they sustainable but they are very long lasting.
- Is composite more expensive than hardwood?
Composite is a complete product. Once its installed, you never need to oil or sand it and it doesn’t require painting so you are saving thousands of dollars over the years in tins of oil or stain, not to mention the time it takes to remove and replace your outdoor furniture. A quality tin of oil will probably cost you about $220.00 and depending on the size of the hardwood deck and the exposure to weather, you may need a few tins a year to coat the deck regularly, so that can stack up to a lot of money. Composite is a little more of an investment than hardwood however you get this back in saving on maintenance materials and your valuable time.
You also receive a 20-year written warranty for your composite deck once built. While Castlegate Home Improvements certainly guarantees our work and provides a 12 month decking follow up service, timber is a natural product and it will only retain its healthy condition with regular upkeep.
- What is the difference in one brand from another?
Decking boards are like anything else we buy. There are top quality brands on the market and there are more economical brands on the market.
Castlegate Home Improvements are not affiliated with any particular brand but we build decks, a lot, and we know which is a quality brand and which may not be. We recommend you choose the best board you can afford, even if you need to save for a little longer, its worth it.
Look for a brand that offers a good warranty. Ask yourself, is there a distributor or brand representative in Perth I can contact if I have a problem with my decking boards? (After contacting your fitter of course) How long has the brand company been in business and where can I see examples of their product? Your deck is an investment and a feature your friends and family will enjoy with you so we recommend choosing a quality board with a warranty and a good reputation.
- Does composite decking get hot if exposed?
It will get hot if exposed to full sun, however it’s no different from concrete, aggregate, bricks or even timber. When covered, it will not get hot.
This may be a down side with composite decking but its probably the only one.
Before & Afters